HARRISBURG - A long-delayed preliminary hearing for three former Penn State administrators accused of a criminal cover up of complaints about Jerry Sandusky was scheduled Tuesday for later this month.

Harrisburg District Judge William Wenner said the three-day hearing for Graham Spanier, Gary Schultz and Tim Curley will begin in just under three weeks.

The proceeding will determine if prosecutors have enough evidence to send the matter to county court for trial.

The three are accused of obstruction, conspiracy and other offenses for their handling of complaints about Sandusky, the university's former assistant football coach. They all vigorously deny the allegations.

Sandusky was convicted a year ago of 45 counts of child sexual abuse and is appealing a 30- to 60-year state prison term.

Spanier was forced out as university president shortly after Sandusky. Curley and Schultz were first arrested in November 2011.

The hearing will begin July 29, in the Dauphin County Courthouse in Harrisburg, and continue on July 30 and Aug. 1 if needed.

Wenner previously presided over a preliminary hearing for the first set of charges against Curley and Schultz.

The hearing for Spanier and additional charges filed against the other two late last year has been held up because of a legal dispute about the role played in the case by Cynthia Baldwin, the university's then-chief counsel who accompanied them to their grand jury appearances.


On June 6 the state Supreme Court denied an appeal by Curley and Schultz in the matter that has been pursued under seal, as it involves grand jury matters.

In a typical Pennsylvania criminal case, the preliminary hearing is held within weeks, or a month or two, of the arrest.

Curley is the school's former athletic director, and Schultz is a retired Penn State vice president.

Schultz lawyer Tom Farrell and Spanier lawyer Tim Lewis both declined to comment on the hearing being scheduled, and a message left for Curley's legal team was not immediately returned.

A spokesman for the attorney general's office, which is prosecuting the case, did not offer any immediate comment.