A firefighter is helped out of the rubble of a home on Sticks Road that was destroyed in an explosion on Monday, Sept. 23, 2013. A woman was killed in the
A firefighter is helped out of the rubble of a home on Sticks Road that was destroyed in an explosion on Monday, Sept. 23, 2013. A woman was killed in the explosion. (JOHN PAVONCELLO)

Dental records will be used to conclusively identify a woman killed Monday night when the Glen Rock-area home she was in exploded, authorities said.

An autopsy Tuesday determined the woman died of smoke inhalation and thermal injuries, according to the York County Coroner's Office.

The manner of death was ruled accidental, the coroner's office said.

However, the autopsy was unable to conclusively confirm the woman killed is the same woman who lived in the home at 3091 Sticks Road in Codorus Township, so dental records will be used to make the determination, according to the coroner's office.

The York Dispatch is withholding the woman's name until authorities make a positive identification.

One of the woman's daughters declined comment Tuesday.

Ground shook: The home exploded about 8:45 p.m. Monday, roughly 10 minutes after the victim arrived there and walked inside, according to a neighbor.

Neighbors reported hearing the blast and feeling the ground shake.

Second Assistant Chief Mike Naylor of Glen Rock Hose & Ladder Fire Co. said the home was destroyed by the blast.

"When we pulled up, the house had collapsed into the foundation," he said. "It just pancaked straight down into the basement. ... The house is destroyed."

There was heavy fire in what remained of the home, he said. Two vehicles parked near the home, as well debris scattered by the blast, also were burning, Naylor said.

Crews received unconfirmed reports that a woman was inside, he said.

"Due to the fire conditions and the collapse, we couldn't make entry into the building to search for her," Naylor said.

Water problems: Firefighters initially struggled to get water to the scene, according to the assistant chief, who said a nearby stream was too shallow to draw enough water.

Crews ended up laying about 6,000 feet of hose from a hydrant at Wetzel's Market to the two-alarm fire scene.

"Once we got that line established, we were able to knock down the bulk of the fire pretty quick," Naylor said.

Firefighters were on scene for about six hours, and fire police stayed even longer to guard the scene until a state police fire marshal arrived, he said.

What caused blast? As of Tuesday afternoon, the fire marshal had not announced what caused the explosion.

The fire marshal, along with area firefighters, discovered the woman's body while searching through the rubble, according to Naylor.

"She was found in what would have been the basement of the home," he said.

Assisting Glen Rock firefighters at the scene were crews from throughout the area, Naylor said, including Shrewsbury, New Freedom, Loganville, Jacobus and Lineboro, Md.

-- Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com.