Two adults are temporarily displaced after a chimney fire spread through a portion of a Warrington Township home in the pre-dawn hours Tuesday morning.

Chief Larry Anderson of Wellsville Fire Co. said fire officials believe a fireplace insert malfunctioned and caused the fire.

Crews were called to 95 Big Rock Drive around 3 a.m., extinguishing the blaze by about 6:30 a.m., Anderson said.

The home was heavily damaged, and the couple will be displaced until the damage is repaired.

"It's up to the insurance company whether it's a complete loss," the chief said.

He could not provide a damage estimate Tuesday morning.

Union Fire & Hose Co. Chief Roger Flohr said the couple awoke after hearing the roaring of the chimney fire.

He said the American Red Cross was on the scene to assist the residents. No one was injured in the blaze.