State police Tuesday morning announced the formation of a new multi-jurisdictional task force to try to find a road-rage shooter who killed a man on Interstate 81 in Franklin County, and they say the violent driver might act out again.

The group of police officers and agents from the Pennsylvania State Police, Maryland State Police, Carroll Township Police Department in York County and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are treating the Jan. 4 homicide of motorist Timothy Davison as related to a similar case that happened in Carroll Township less than eight hours before the Maine man was gunned down by someone driving a pickup, according to a state police press release.

In the Carroll Township incident, someone in a pickup fired shots at a driver in Monaghan Township, but no one was injured in that incident.

"While there are many similarities between the two, conclusive evidence definitively connecting the two has yet to be established," the document read. "Both investigations will be treated as being related until conclusive evidence proves otherwise."

Police said they believe someone in the region knows who is or may be responsible for the homicide, and anyone who knows someone with violent tendencies who owns or operates a Ford Ranger-style vehicle with damage to it should call PA Crime Stoppers at 1-800-4PA-TIPS, or 1-800-472-8477, according to the press release.

They also want to hear from anyone who was traveling on I-81 near the border of Maryland and Pennsylvania on Jan. 4 between 1:30 and 2:15 a.m., if they saw anything they think might be connected.

The background: Davison, 28, was driving home to Maine after visiting family in Florida when he was fatally shot after his SUV was rammed off the highway north of the Maryland line, according to state police.

Davison called 911 from I-81 near Maryland early Saturday to say someone in a pickup truck was firing on him, then he was forced into a median before the assailant approached and fired several rounds at him.

Police say the shooting occurred in the southbound lanes in Antrim Township, about 10 miles north of Hagerstown, Maryland.

He died at a York hospital following the 2:10 a.m. attack.

The attack appears to have been random, but police said in Tuesday's release they believe there's potential for another incident "due to the violent nature of this incident."

State police spokesman Trooper Rob Hicks said the "sheer randomness" of the shooting and the fact there was likely more than one incident leads police to anticipate another attack.

People who encounter an erratic driver should remove themselves from the situation as quickly and safely as possible, and they should call 911 if they feel threatened, he said.

Police said the truck used in the shooting should have damage to the driver's side, in particular to the door and front quarter panel.

There may also be silver paint that transferred from Davison's 2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV when it was rammed by the pickup truck, police said.

Police are also asking collision and auto body shops to contact police if a pickup truck matching the description is brought in for repairs.

An autopsy was performed on Davison Monday, but police are not releasing details because of the ongoing investigation, Hicks said.

- Reach Christina Kauffman at