The owner of Valley Green Golf Course Golf is taking another swing at a township zoning decision.

Golf Enterprises filed an appeal with the York County Court of Common Pleas on Dec. 11, hoping to change a zoning ordinance denied by the Newberry Township Board of Supervisors in October.

The 4-1 vote rejected the golf course owner's request to amend zoning for Valley Green Golf Course from open space to residential.

Golf Enterprises is acting on behalf of McNaughton Homes, which in 2012 proposed a 400-unit development on the 100-acre property.

Opponents of the plan say Golf Enterprises would pave the township's only green space.

The manicured golf course serves as the backyard to several residents, who quickly formed the Valley Green Residents Organization.

That organization on Monday petitioned the York County Court of Common Pleas to be heard in the Golf Enterprises appeal, according to court records.

John Elliott, attorney and member of the Valley Green Residents Organization, could not be reached on Friday.

After the October vote, he told The York Dispatch he knew there was a possibility Golf Enterprises would appeal.

"The fact that the (township decision) went in our favor will be helpful for us," he previously said.

Elliott also said the facts and witnesses presented by the residents organization during township hearings on the issue would hold up during an appeals process.

Helen Gemmill, attorney for Golf Enterprises, said she could not comment on ongoing litigation.

In this appeals process, Golf Enterprises gets to file an initial brief with the county court to make its argument. Then Newberry Township gets to file a brief to share its side. And Golf Enterprises gets to file a second brief in response to the township.

The residents organization has petitioned the court to also be heard, but no decision has been issued.

There is no set time period for the county court to make a decision on the briefs, as the court may take whatever time it needs.

If Golf Enterprises or Newberry Township doesn't like the decision that is made, either party may appeal to the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania.

--Reach Candy Woodall at