A man and his dog escaped a fire in an old Peach Bottom Township farmhouse that likely started in a wood stove.

A neighbor's 911 call alerted firefighters to the blaze at 899 Mount Olivet Church Road at about 1 p.m. Thursday afternoon.

The man who lives there did not have a phone and had already been trying to extinguish the fire for about 10 minutes before the neighbors noticed and called for help, said Scott Dickson, chief of the Citizens Vol. Fire Co.

"He was doing the best he could," Dickson said.

When firefighters arrived, the house was fully engulfed in flames and its second floor had collapsed, Dickson said.

Dickson said the home's owner said the fire started in the wood stove.

Firefighters were dispatched to the house expecting a rescue operation, but the man and the dog were out of the house by the time firefighters arrived on scene, Dickson said.

It took about an hour to bring the fire under control, and the house is a total loss.

No one was injured fighting the fire.

The Red Cross is assisting the man and his wife, who was not home when the fire started, with food, shelter and clothing.

— Reach Erin James at ejames@yorkdispatch.com.