Candis Bradshaw
Candis Bradshaw

A Fairview Township woman who police said cut her toddler son's neck before attempting suicide last week is now criminally charged, and court documents indicate she previously suffered postpartum depression and had recently become depressed.

Candis Bradshaw, 36, of 89 Foxfire Lane, was arraigned Friday morning before District Judge Scott Gross, who set her bail at $200,000. After arraignment, she was taken to the county's central booking unit to be fingerprinted.

Bradshaw is charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, simple assault and endangering the welfare of a child.

Gross also ordered Bradshaw to have no contact with her 2-year-old son, "to protect the alleged victim in this case."

He explained that if she makes bail, the bail condition means she cannot live in her own home.

Wearing handcuffs attached to a thick leather belt, as well as ankle cuffs, Bradshaw told the judge she has lived in the Foxfire Lane home since 2011, and previously lived in Hummelstown for about eight years.

Bradshaw said she was a stay-at-home mom and has no family in the area other than her husband and son.

Bradshaw's husband told investigators she suffered postpartum depression after giving birth to their son, and that she recently had become "anxious and depressed," the affidavit states.

The allegations: Township police said Bradshaw made two cuts on her son's neck, each several inches long, on each side of his neck.


She then stabbed herself in the chest, police said.

Charging documents filed Friday indicate it happened about 7:30 a.m. Jan. 17.

The child's babysitter arrived at the home about 8:20 a.m. and saw Bradshaw's shirt was covered in blood, at which point Bradshaw told her "she was going away for a long time," according to her arrest affidavit.

The child's father arrived home a short time later, and told investigators the toddler cried for him and reached out to him, which is when the father noticed the cuts on the child's neck, police said.

Soaked in blood: Arriving officers found Bradshaw lying on her bed, her T-shirt soaked in blood. She had a stab wound under her left breast and admitted causing her own injury, the affidavit states.

Officers found a bloody butcher knife on a dresser in the master bedroom, its blade about 12 inches long, documents state. They also found blood all over the child's pillow, bed sheets, blankets and several stuffed animals, police said.

'Bad decision': While being treated by emergency medical technicians at the scene, Bradshaw said, "I made a bad decision" and "my husband will never forgive me," the affidavit states.

She also admitted to injuring her son, police said.

Mother and son were flown to Hershey Medical Center by medical helicopter.

The boy, whose name has not been released, was released a day or two later, police have said.

Bradshaw was subsequently transferred from the hospital to Philhaven mental-health facility, where she was served with her arrest warrant, police said.

Bradshaw was not represented by an attorney for Friday's proceeding.

-- Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at