Alex Rasovsky
Alex Rasovsky

A York-area man is expected to be released from prison after serving more than 10 months for apparently to trying to torch a Springettsbury Township motel twice last year.

Alex Rasovsky, 52, of Bonbar Road in Spring Garden Township, pleaded no contest Monday morning to arson and reckless endangerment for the incidents, which happened the night of April 16 and the morning of April 17.

Defense attorney Joshua Neiderhiser said his client's memory of the events is foggy.

"There was some sort of intoxication that night," he said, which combined with Rasovsky's mental-health issues to affect his memory.

Time served: As part of his negotiated plea agreement, Rasovsky was sentenced to time-served to 23 months in prison, plus a consecutive 23 months of probation.

Common Pleas Judge Richard K. Renn ordered the defendant to pay $754.87 in restitution to Budget Host Inn at 1162 Haines Road, and ordered him to stay away from the motel.

Rasovsky also was ordered to undergo mental-health and drug and alcohol evaluations, and instructed to follow through with any recommended counseling.

Defendants who plead no contest are not admitting guilt. Rather, they are saying they don't contest the charges against them. Otherwise, a no-contest plea has the same effect as a guilty plea.

Locked up: He has been in prison since April 18, according to senior deputy prosecutor Kelley Nelson.

She said officials from the Budget Host Inn supported the plea agreement.


"Certainly there are mental-health issues," she said.

Nelson said her primary goal was to make sure Rasovsky will be supervised by the county probation department after his release.

The case: Rasovsky admitted to township police Sgt. Tony Beam that he started the fires, according to court documents.

Rasovsky added that he "was fascinated at the response and operation of the fire personnel," telling Beam "you guys had trucks everywhere," documents state.

Rasovsky tried to set fires in the rafters of the Budge Host Inn's roof area about 9:45 p.m. April 16, and again about 8:45 a.m. April 17, police have said.

The small fires caused very minimal damage, York Area United fire officials said at the time.

Reported fire: After the hotel's fire alarm sounded, manager John Adams was approached by Rasovsky, who told him "There is a fire in the attic," documents state.

Adams entered the attic and found a small amount of cardboard, an American flag and other debris on fire, documents state.

Lighter fluid was used to start that fire and the one Wednesday morning, fire officials have said.

At the time of both incidents, 38 rooms were rented by guests, documents state.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at