A fire at a York City home Thursday afternoon displaced three people.

Crews were sent to the home in the 800 block of South Duke Street a little after 3 p.m. for a report of smoke in the basement.

But when they arrived, they found flames coming from an electrical box in the basement, said fire Capt. Robert Behler.

Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the flames.

But because electricity to the home had to be cut, it was rendered uninhabitable for the time being, Behler said.

The people who live there are being aided by the Red Cross.

Damage is estimated at just under $10,000, Behler said.

No injuries were reported.

— Reach Greg Gross at ggross@yorkdispatch.com.