An early-morning blaze Wednesday at a Hanover-area home was caused by a discarded cigarette and displaced four adults and an infant, officials said.

Penn Township and Hanover firefighters were dispatched to a home in the 2400 block of Grandview Road in Penn Township just after 2 a.m. and found heavy smoke and fire in a carport and in the kitchen, according to a news release from Penn Township Fire Chief Jan Cromer.

Crews had the fire under control in about 15 minutes, but $65,000 in smoke and fire damage made the home uninhabitable, according to the release. A vehicle in the carport sustained $1,200 in damage, the release states.

Cromer said a cigarette discarded in the carport started the fire.

The York-Adams Chapter of the American Red Cross said they are assisting the displaced residents with food, clothing, shelter and housing for their pets.

The home is owned by Andrew Bealing, the release states, and the adults residents range in age from 24 to 60.