Murder victim Edward Green
Murder victim Edward Green

Two decades.

That's how long Edward Leon Green worked at the Roosevelt Tavern, eventually moving up to head cook, according to Green's former boss.

It's also the minimum prison sentence handed down Wednesday to a man who pleaded guilty to Green's carjacking and murder, as well as to an unrelated nonfatal shooting.

Malcolm Mansour Bull, 20, of 609 N. Hartley St., was sentenced to a total of 20 to 40 years in prison, with credit for the nearly 19 months he's already served.

He pleaded guilty March 24 to third-degree murder and conspiracy to commit robbery for Green's murder, and also pleaded guilty to aggravated assault for shooting another man about 12 hours earlier. Bull was sentenced to 10 to 20 years in prison on each case, and his sentences were ordered to run consecutively.


"He has accepted responsibility from the very beginning," defense attorney Bill Graff said. "I hope he takes advantage of the (prison) time and learns a trade and really gets his head together."

Green, 46, was fatally shot about 1:10 a.m. Nov. 6, 2012, as he was being carjacked near the intersection of Hope Avenue and Green Street in York City.

The murder: Bull and Shamar A. McCowin were walking in the area of the 400 block of West Princess Street, looking for someone to rob, when they spotted Green sleeping in his car, York City Police have said.

At the time of his death, Green was dealing with a setback in life. He was staying with friends in the area and sleeping in his car.


McCowin opened the front passenger door and shot Green, who ran away while yelling for help, police said. McCowin fired a few more times at Green, then he and Bull jumped into the victim's Toyota Camry and fled the scene, police said.

They drove the car to the rear of the 400 block of West College Avenue and torched its interior, according to police.

Life sentence: A jury on Feb. 14 found McCowin, 24, of South Penn Street, guilty of second-degree murder, robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery. In March, he was sentenced to life in prison without parole.


Bull, who at trial identified McCowin as the triggerman, admitted he acted as a lookout for McCowin, but said he didn't know Green was going to be shot.

Second case: Bull shot Ronald Rhoades at Roosevelt Avenue and Lincoln Street in York City on Nov. 5, 2012. Bull told the judge they were arguing and Rhoades wouldn't "get out of my face."

Rhoades, who was 24 at the time, survived his wounds.

Chief deputy prosecutor David Maisch has said he could not have gotten a conviction against McCowin without Bull's testimony.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at