John Corasaniti II
John Corasaniti II

A former York-area businessman who has been on the run for nearly a year since skipping a hearing in York County Court last summer has been captured in West Virginia and is now accused of having sexual contact with a minor.

Members of the U.S. Marshals Service captured 53-year-old John V. Corasaniti II without incident Thursday in Falling Water, W.Va., according to a marshals service press release. He was taken to Eastern Regional Berkeley County Jail to be held pending extradition, the release states.

Corasaniti, formerly of Manchester Township, has repeatedly clashed with the law in both criminal and civil court. He was supposed to appear for a pretrial hearing May 20, 2013, on his charge of theft by deception but failed to show, causing the presiding York County judge to issue a warrant for his arrest.

It was the second time Corasaniti was a no-show at one of his court hearings.

Theft case: According to court documents, Corasaniti took $14,075 from a Hopewell Township woman to build a detached garage at her Mount Airy Road home.

On May 5, 2012, the two agreed the total price would be $25,000, and that Corasaniti would start the job within 30 days of getting the advance money he needed, documents state.

But Corasaniti never built the garage and canceled a zoning-board hearing needed to obtain a building permit, documents allege.

On Aug. 23, 2012, the resident canceled the contract, but Corasaniti never returned the money, according to documents.


He also had a pending theft by deception charge that was filed in September by York Area Regional Police for an alleged incident in Red Lion, court records state.

In April 2013, Northern York County Regional Police filed charges against him of unlawful contact with a minor, promoting prostitution and corruption of a minor.

Lawsuit scheme: Corasaniti also failed to appear in court in July 2007, when he was to be sentenced for scheming with his son to accuse Northern Regional Police of excessive force so the son could file a $100 million lawsuit.

He remained at large for nearly a month before turning himself in and being sentenced to 1-1/2 to three years in state prison for the scheme.

Corasaniti has also served time for deceptive business practices and theft by deception, according to court records.

In 2005, he filed a $50 million lawsuit against York County Prison employees and a county commissioner, alleging his rights were violated when he was kept in isolation for 60 days while serving a prison sentence.

He dropped the lawsuit two months later.

More lawsuits: In 2004, Corasaniti sued prison officials for $10 million, again claiming his rights were violated when he was put in "the hole," or isolation.

That lawsuit also was eventually dropped.

In 2003, Corasaniti and his son, John V. Corasaniti III, sought $20 million in damages from Northern York County Regional Police, alleging that officers struck the younger Corasaniti while he was in custody.

That suit was settled out of court.

Other theft cases: In 2002, the elder Corasaniti was charged with theft and fraudulent business practices for allegedly taking more than $50,000 from business customers and not completing agreed-upon work.

He later pleaded guilty to some of those charges.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at