The owner of a Heidelberg Township home was able to extinguish a small bedroom fire Monday morning before fire crews even arrived, Porters Community Fire Chief Scott Rabenstine said.

Crews were called to the home in the 1400 block of Kelley Avenue at 8:39 a.m., according to the York County 911 Center.

It appears a lamp started a fire in an upstairs bedroom of the split-level home, Rabenstine said.

The parents and children who live in the home don't have to leave because damage — including smoke damage and some fire damage to bedroom furniture — was contained to the one bedroom, he said.

The father used a fire extinguisher to douse the fire, according to Rabenstine, who said a damage estimate was not immediately available.

The man suffered some smoke inhalation but declined treatment at the scene, according to the chief.

Arriving firefighters checked for possible fire extension into the home's attics or walls and found none, Rabenstine said.