Peter Moore
Peter Moore

A Fairview Township man in York County Prison on charges he broke his toddler's legs previously spent years in state prison for seriously injuring another son, court records reveal.

In addition to $5,000 bail on his new charges, Peter J. Moore also is being held on a state parole violation, according to prison records.

Moore, 39, remains on parole for a 2003 York County case in which he pleaded no contest to attempted homicide and guilty to aggravated assault, simple assault, child endangerment and reckless endangerment, records state.

Fairview Township Police filed both sets of charges.

Shaken baby: "In 2003, Peter Moore was arrested by our department for shaking a baby, causing serious injuries," township Detective Jarrett Boyles said.

Moore was sentenced to six to 12 years in state prison for shaking his 3-month-old son, records state.

Boyles filed new charges of aggravated assault and child endangerment against Moore on May 15, after concluding an investigation that began March 9 when he was notified of alleged child abuse by the York County Office of Children, Youth and Families, he said.

"They had been advised of a child-abuse referral from Hershey Medical Center," Boyles said.

Broken legs: Moore's wife took their 14-month-old son to the hospital on March 8, where doctors discovered the child's legs were broken, according to the detective.


"The doctors referred to the injuries as 'drop fractures,'" Boyles said. "According to medical personnel, they can only happen with a significant force — enough to cause the bones to fracture."

Drop fractures can happen when a child falls from a significant height and lands on his feet, or when a child is slammed to the ground feet-first by an adult, Boyles confirmed.

Wife not home: Moore was watching his 14-month-old son and 5-year-old daughter while his wife went to the store for a couple hours, and that's when the toddler was injured, the detective said.

Moore told police he was in the other room when he heard the two children crying; he said he looked over and saw his daughter lying on top of his son's legs, according to Boyles.

"The story wasn't plausible," he said.

Tot recovering: When the child's mother returned home, she realized something was wrong and took him to the hospital, Boyles said.

The toddler is doing fine now, according to the detective.

"He was out of his casts within 2-1/2 weeks," he said.

The Office of Children, Youth and Families forbid Moore from having contact with his minor children during the entire police investigation, Boyles said.

Old case: Fairview Township Police arrested Moore in 2003 after Moore summoned emergency crews to his home and claimed his then-3-month-old son had rolled off the couch and fell on the carpeted floor, court records state. The fall would have been less than 2 feet, police said at the time.

But the baby suffered numerous serious injuries, including bleeding and bruising of his brain and three broken ribs that were already healing, court records state.

Moore later admitted his shook his baby twice in June 2003 when the child wouldn't stop crying, records state.

The mother of the 3-month-old assaulted in 2003 is a different woman than Moore's current wife, police confirmed.

It is unclear if Moore has retained an attorney.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at