Five people are temporarily displaced after a kitchen fire at a Spring Garden Township home Thursday.

The family of four adults and one child are getting help from the local American Red Cross, Jay Van Pelt, a battalion chief with the York Area United Fire & Rescue, said.

The house, on South Ogontz Street, is habitable, but has fire and water damage, he added.

Shortly after 2 p.m., York Area United Fire & Rescue was dispatched to the home to battle a kitchen fire that started from unattended cooking, Van Pelt said.

The fire was contained to the area, but caused $25,000 in damage, he said.

An adult and a child were in the house when the fire started, but they got out and called 911 from outside, Van Pelt said.

Firefighters knocked down the blaze within minutes of their arrival, he said.

No one was injured, according to Van Pelt.

Firefighters cleared the scene just before 3:30 p.m., he said.

Fire departments from York Township and Manchester assisted at the scene, Van Pelt said.