Dozens of candles burned at the scene of a Saturday shooting that left a 17-year-old boy dead and a 14-year-old boy in prison.

Noticing wax beginning to liquefy and settle on some of the candles, several friends of shooting victim Patrick Winter decided to pay homage on Sunday afternoon.

They poured the wax on the pavement in front of 337 E. King St. in York City, where Winter was fatally shot while sitting in his car. Together, they spelled out "RIP" in red, white and green.

"I've shed a lot of tears, but I just can't believe this," said Niinoska Santos, 15, of York City.

Chasing dreams: Santos, one of Winter's former girlfriends, said the Manito Academy student would've been a senior in the fall.

He worked at his father's barber shop, World A Cuts Barber Institute in the first block of North George Street, and wanted to open his own barber shop someday, she said.

"He was a dream-chaser," Santos said.

Winter was independent, successful and surrounded himself around a core group of like-minded friends who called themselves "Dream Team 1K," she said.

"I love him. We all do," Santos said. "Who knew that he'd be gone so soon?"

Winter's alleged killer, Leonard Anthony Green III of 535 S. Duke St., has been arrested and will be charged as an adult with homicide, according to York City Police.

He wasn't a bad kid either, said friend Linaye Jones, 16, of York City.

"It was a fit-in gone wrong," she said, explaining that Green was probably envious and wanted to fit in with Winter and his crew.

Winter had his own money, his own car and his own dreams, Jones said.

"Anything (Winter) wanted, he would go get," she said.

All the friends at the candlelight vigil said they'll attend the West York resident's funeral, which must wait until officials conduct an autopsy on Monday at Allentown's Lehigh Valley Hospital.

From parties to red cars, everything will remind Jones of Winter from now on, she said.

"It's not gonna be the same," she said.

: According to Green's charging documents, Winter and Green had both been at a party in a home in the 300 block of East King Street just before the shooting.

Winter and another juvenile male left in Winter's BMW to take friends home but returned and waited in the car, with Winter behind the wheel, for other friends to leave the party.

That's when police say Green walked up to the driver's side and motioned for Winter to lower the window. With the window down, Green stuck a handgun into the car and fired two shots at Winter, one of which was fired as Winter was trying to close the window about 12:25 a.m., documents state.

One of the bullets hit Winter in the chest, said Terry Meyers, York County deputy coroner.

Green fled the scene but witnesses identified him as the shooter, telling officers Green had been at the party prior to the shooting.

City police arrested Green a few hours later, about 6 a.m., at his home, documents state.

When interviewed by city detectives, Green admitted to firing two shots at Winter and then running from the area, documents state.

Reached by phone Sunday evening, York City Mayor Kim Bracey, who is out of town, said any shooting is unfortunate.

"I'm very sorry to hear about the tragedy," she said.

Green, barely a teenager, is one of the youngest to be charged with homicide in York County, said Kyle King, spokesman for the District Attorney's Office.

"To our knowledge, 14 is the youngest here in York County," he said.

It is not known if Green has retained an attorney.

- Reach Greg Gross at and reach Mollie Durkin at