A 14-year-old York City youth accused of fatally shooting a 17-year-old early Saturday morning was found in illegal possession of a loaded handgun less than a month ago and ran from police trying to arrest him for it, according to arrest documents obtained by The York Dispatch.

Those documents also state York City Police tried to have Leonard Anthony Green III committed to a juvenile detention center last month on the illegal weapons possession charge, but there were no empty beds available at the time.

Green, of 535 S. Duke St., remains in York County Prison without bail, charged as an adult with homicide for the fatal shooting of Patrick Winter.

Patrick Winter
Patrick Winter

Winter was sitting in his car in the 300 block of East King Street about 12:25 a.m. Saturday, waiting to drive some people home from a party. Green walked up and had Winter roll down his driver-side window, according to York City Police.

Green fired two shots, then ran from the scene, police said.

An autopsy Monday at Allentown's Lehigh Valley Hospital determined Winter, of Niagara Lane in West Manchester Township, died of a gunshot wound to the torso, according to the York County Coroner's Office, which has ruled the death a homicide.

'That's him': Less than a month ago, at about 9:15 p.m. May 23, York City Police were called to the 900 block of Wellington Street for a complaint of a male with a gun who had scared a boy, according to Green's arrest documents.

Arriving officers spotted Green on a bicycle, then heard a voice from the crowd yell, "That's him, the one on the bike," documents state.

Green jumped off the bike and turned away from officers, one of whom could see the grip of a handgun sticking out of Green's pants pockets, documents state.

Green then ditched the bike and fled on foot, successfully eluding police after ducking into a nearby breezeway, according to documents.

Dropped handgun: But Green stumbled as he was getting off the bicycle, causing the gun to fall to the ground, documents state. Police seized the .40-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun, which held 13 bullets, documents state.

It had not been reported stolen and a check of the gun revealed no registered owner, according to documents, which state the gun was kept as evidence.

Witnesses in the area gave officers Green's name, and the officers viewed surveillance video of Green pulling out a handgun multiple times while hanging out in the block, documents state.

False ID charge: Five days later, about 9:20 p.m. May 28, officers on routine bicycle patrol spotted Green standing in the 500 block of Walnut Street and arrested him on the outstanding gun possession charge, documents state.

Green gave officers a fake name three times as they were detaining him, leading the officers to also charge Green as a juvenile with providing false identification to police, documents state.

The officers contacted the county's juvenile probation department about having Green committed to juvenile detention, but no beds were available anywhere, documents state.

A message left with the county's Juvenile Probation Department was not immediately returned.

Motive: York City Police said there is no reasonable explanation as to why the shooting happened, and called it senseless.

Green told detectives he had been "disrespected" by Winter at some point, according to police.

Police confirmed detectives found and seized a gun on Sunday and are sending it for ballistics testing to determine if it's the one that killed Winter.

The 6-foot-tall, 170-pound Green is a student at Jackson K-8, according to documents.

It is unclear if he has hired an attorney. Green's mother declined comment Monday.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at