Nine people were displaced when a fire, caused by children playing with a lighter, damaged their Springettsbury Township home Sunday.

The five adults and four children, who were home at the time of the fire, were being assisted by the Red Cross, said Jay Van Pelt, battalion chief with York Area United Fire & Rescue.

One of the residents used a garden hose in an unsuccessful effort to put out the blaze in the home in the 300 block of Lyndhurst Road. One of the residents called 911, the chief said.

First responders were dispatched to the scene about 5:15 p.m. and they arrived to find smoke pouring from the home. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to a second-floor bedroom, where it started, and had the blaze out in quick order, Van Pelt said.

No one was injured.

The fire caused $10,000 in damage and has been blamed on children playing with a lighter in the bedroom.

Firefighters from Manchester Township assisted York Area United at the scene.

- Reach Greg Gross at