A York City man acquitted of murder for a shootout that ended with the death of his fellow south-side gang associate had entered a plea to lesser related charges.

Antonio "TJ" Wormley, 20, of McKenzie Street, had been charged with the 2012 shooting death of 21-year-old Kyle Westry.

At trial in September, a jury found Wormley not guilty of third-degree murder, but were deadlocked on the other charges he faced. The presiding judge declared a mistrial after the jury hung.

On Thursday, Wormley pleaded no contest to conspiracy to commit aggravated assault and carrying a firearm without a license, according to court records.

As part of his negotiated plea agreement, he was sentenced to 11-1/2 to 23 months in prison, plus four years of probation. It amounts to a time-served prison sentence.


Wormley's defense attorney, Paul Kovatch, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Gang confrontation: York City Police have said Wormley, Westry and two others confronted Wajh S. Jamison, a rival Parkway gang associate, which led to a shootout that left Westry dead.

Wormley also was charged with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated assault and criminal conspiracy, with Jamison listed as the victim in those alleged crimes. He was charged with of illegal firearm possession as well.

The shootout happened near the corner of South Pershing Avenue and West Princess Street about 4:20 p.m. June 21, 2012, and investigators believe five guns fired no fewer than 20 bullets, prosecutors have said.


Jamison was one of the shooters that day, but prosecutors said Wormley was the only person involved in the shootout who fired a 9mm, and that two of the eight bullets he fired struck Westry.

No ballistics link: Kovatch has said there was no definitive ballistics link between the bullets fired from the 9mm handgun and bullets recovered from Westry's body.

He said many of the eyewitnesses to the shootout are related to Jamison and therefore had reason to minimize his involvement. Kovatch maintained Jamison fired the fatal shot.

Wormley and the other south-side associates all showed up in the area of the shooting and followed Jamison into a local barbershop.

They confronted him about whether he'd shot one of their associates, and the argument continued outside and escalated into gunfire.

During trial, Jamison told jurors he has carried a gun for a long time "for protection ... from the things I be into: My lifestyle."

Jamison, 22, of York, was not charged with homicide because he was acting in self-defense, prosecutors have said.

He later pleaded guilty to carrying a firearm without a license and was sentenced to two to four years in prison, court records state.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com.