A Shrewsbury Township man with multiple DUI convictions is charged with third-degree murder for causing a December crash that killed his older brother, police said.

Police allege Jamey Ray Hartless was intoxicated when the 1988 Chevrolet Camaro he was driving slammed into a tree and caught on fire.

Hartless, 48, of 12853 Glen Brook Court in the Glen Brook Trailer Park, remains free on $50,000 unsecured bail. Police filed charges against him July 1, court records state. A preliminary hearing is set for Aug. 5.

At the time of the accident, York Area Regional Police said Hartless crashed into a tree in York Township while fleeing the scene of a previous York Township crash.

Jamey Hartless
Jamey Hartless

Timothy A. Hartless, 51, of the same address, was rushed to York Hospital from the scene of crash, which happened at 6:13 p.m. Dec. 2 in the 200 block of Reynolds Mill Road, according to the county coroner's office. He was pronounced dead at York Hospital.

Jamey Hartless also was injured and needed hospital treatment, police said.

Smelled of alcohol: At the scene, he had glassy, bloodshot eyes, smelled of alcohol and told officers he didn't know who had been driving, according to charging documents.

But witnesses to the fatal crash told officers it was Jamey Hartless who was driving, documents state.

One witness reported seeing the black Camaro heading southbound on South George Street in the area of Apple Hill and saw it repeatedly weave across the center line, police said.


The Camaro then struck the open driver-side door of a Pontiac Sunfire that had broken down and was stopped alongside the road, according to police.

Close call: The driver was sitting in the Sunfire's driver seat with his legs hanging out the door when the Camaro sideswiped the car, according to police. The force of the crash knocked the driver door off the car, but somehow the driver escaped injury.

Police said Timothy Hartless, the passenger of a Camaro fleeing a hit-and-run crash, was killed when the Camaro slammed into a tree. (Photo courtesy of
Police said Timothy Hartless, the passenger of a Camaro fleeing a hit-and-run crash, was killed when the Camaro slammed into a tree. (Photo courtesy of Nate Strine)

After hitting the Sunfire, Jamey Hartless fled south on South George Street, then turned onto Reynolds Mill Road, going perhaps 90 mph or more, according to police.

Minutes after the first crash with the Sunfire door, police were called to the 200 block of Reynolds Mill Road, where they found the Camaro struck a tree, then a stop sign, at Kresta Drive, police said. The car then started on fire.

Witnesses rushed to the car with fire extinguishers to put out the flames, police said.

Appeared dazed: Witnesses said Jamey Hartless was walking around the wreckage and appeared to be dazed, according to charging documents.

He reached back into the car, slapped his brother's head a few times, then tried to pull his brother out of the car through the driver's door, documents allege. The crash severely damaged the passenger-side of the Camaro and crushed the passenger door, police said.

Police also said the Camaro's tires were extremely dry-rotted and were not road-worthy.

Charging documents state Jamey Hartless had a blood-alcohol level of 0.079 percent. In Pennsylvania, an adult is driving drunk at 0.08 percent.

Cocaine use alleged: But he also had cocaine and lorazepam, known as Ativan, in his system, documents allege.

Documents also state he has multiple previous DUI convictions.

Pennsylvania court records list one DUI from 2008, which Hartless pleaded guilty to in January 2009. He was sentenced to one to six months in county prison.

In addition to third-degree murder, Jamey Hartless also is charged with homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence, homicide by vehicle, DUI, reckless driving, reckless endangerment and a number of other offenses.

Jamey Hartless could not be reached for comment. It is unclear whether he has retained an attorney.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com.