Jeffrey Reid Jr., 27, is a suspect in the July 19 fatal shooting of Dashaun Davis.
Jeffrey Reid Jr., 27, is a suspect in the July 19 fatal shooting of Dashaun Davis. (Submitted)

The man wanted for the fatal shooting of Dashaun Davis in York City earlier this month has been arrested in Virginia.

The U.S. Marshals Service says Jeffrey Reid Jr., 27, was arrested without incident in Richmond, Va. on Monday after being on the run since the July 19 shooting.

With him while he was on the lam was his ex-girlfriend, 23-year-old Karina DeJesus.

She was found unharmed with Reid when he was arrested, according to the U.S. Marshals Service.

DeJesus had last been seen with Reid on Wednesday and her family reported her missing to police shortly after, York City Police had said.

Whether she left with him voluntarily or against her will remains unclear.

At this time, DeJesus does not face any charges, U.S. Marshals said.

Shooting: Reid is accused of fatally shooting Davis, 23, of Juniper Street, while Davis sat in his car just after 11 p.m. on July 19 in the 200 block of Union Street. Davis was killed just around the corner from his family's home.

Detectives suspect Reid intended to rob Davis.

Detectives allege Reid and his co-conspirators intended to pull a home-invasion robbery at a home in the 400 block of East Market Street at 9:40 p.m. the night Davis was killed, but that attempt was thwarted.

Reid will be charged with homicide, conspiracy to commit homicide, illegal possession of a firearm, and three counts each of robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery once he's extradited back to York City.


Fire: When Reid is brought back to York City to answer to the charges, local authorities are hoping he can also answers some questions about a fire at the apartment in which he lived.

Two days after Davis was killed, a fire broke out at the three-unit apartment building at 244 S. Duke St. about midnight on July 21. The bulk of the fire was contained to the first-floor apartment, York City Fire officials had said.

York City Detective First Class Jeff Spence confirmed Reid is a suspect in the fire investigation, which he said is unrelated to the homicide.

As of Monday, the cause of the fire was still undetermined, said David Michaels, the York City Fire chief, adding the listed cause could change if new information is obtained.

Fire officials have turned over the investigation to York City Police, the chief said.

"We're sort of letting them the lead right now," he said.

- Reach Greg Gross at