Less than two years after being shot in the neck during a drive-by shooting that turned into a shootout, a York City man is now accused of being on the other end of a gun barrel and shooting his stepfather in the stomach.

Shaquille Ennis was denied bail on his case after his arrest last August because District Judge Ronald Haskell Jr. determined Ennis was a danger to Marshall and needed to be locked up, according to court records.

Ennis is now facing trial in York County Court. His charges were bound over for court at the close of his preliminary hearing Monday in Haskell's office.

He is accused of shooting his stepfather, Lloyd Marshall, in the stomach with a .25-caliber handgun about 1:30 p.m. Aug. 16 in front of 227 Kurtz Ave, where Ennis lives with his mother.

Longtime stepfather: Marshall testified Monday against his stepson, saying he'd raised the boy since he was 2.

Marshall — who said he doesn't live in the Kurtz Avenue home with his wife — recounted going there the day of the shooting to pick up his car and talking with his wife outside on the sidewalk.

Ennis was inside the home arguing with his girlfriend, then called out to his mother, "B—, I (told) you I don't want that n— around here," according to Marshall.

Ennis left the house via the back door and met up with two male buddies, Marshall said.

As Ennis walked past his stepfather, he asked, "What's good," Marshall said. The greeting is another way of saying, "what's up" or "what's going on."


"I told him, 'Who are you supposed to be, asking me what's good,'" Marshall recalled, and chastised his stepson for speaking disrespectfully to his mother.

Mom grabbed at gun: Marshall said he was about to get in his car and leave when he heard his wife yelling.

"I heard her screaming, 'What is this? What is this?'" he testified. "When I looked, it was a gun in his hand."

Marshall said his wife was struggling with her son for control of the handgun, but Ennis pushed her away and caused her to stumble.

"He started firing," the victim said of Ennis. "He kept firing and kept running."

Marshall estimated his stepson fired three or four times. Marshall was struck once in the stomach.

"I jumped in my car," he said, and "drove straight to the hospital."

Ennis, 19, remains in York County Prison charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and carrying a firearm without a license.

Shot in neck: Ennis was shot in the neck when he was 17 years old as he was standing along Stevens Avenue on Sept. 4, 2012. He was with his girlfriend, who was shot in the left arm.

The drive-by shooting turned into a shootout, which police said they believe was part of an ongoing feud between the city's Parkway and south-side "crews," or loosely organized neighborhood gangs.

Police made an arrest in the case, but prosecutors said they later were forced to drop the charges because of "a total lack of cooperation" from witnesses.

Ennis testified at a 2012 proceeding that he didn't see who shot him.

"I didn't see nobody in the car," he said. "I didn't even see a car."

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com.