An hours-long standoff at a West Manheim Township home ended Monday night with one man dead.

Township police went to the house in the 2600 block of Baltimore Pike, a few miles south of Hanover, about 1:30 p.m. to serve a warrant on a man, according to a news release from state police Trooper Robert Hicks.

The man, whose name was not released, fired a gun at the officers, and officers returned fire, the trooper said.

The man barricaded himself in the house, setting off the standoff. Police officers from across York County, including the county's QRT, which stands for Quick Response Team, were called to the scene, Hicks said.

A second QRT, a SWAT-style unit, from Lancaster County also responded.


Found dead: When QRT members went into the house, they found the man dead, Hicks said.

Police did not say how or when the man died. No officers were injured during the incident.

A number of police officers, including the QRT, left the scene a little after 7 p.m.

York County Chief Deputy Coroner Claude Stabley said an autopsy on the man's body will be performed Tuesday at Allentown's Lehigh Valley Hospital.

The man's name will be released once his family is notified, and additional information about the incident will be released after the autopsy, Stabley said.

No contact: Brandan Mitten, who lives next door to the white, two-story house that was surrounded by armed officers, was home when the standoff started and was stuck inside until it ended.

He said he heard two shots in the early afternoon and looked out a window to see police at the house.

The 17-year-old Mitten said he heard police using a loudspeaker in an attempt to contact the man but the man didn't respond.

Mitten said he moved into his house a few months ago and spoke to the man only a few times.

"He was a really nice guy," Mitten said. "He's not that bad of a guy."

As the standoff dragged on, Mitten's mother, Karrieann Galbreath, went to the West Manheim Township municipal building about 5 p.

Police gather after shots fired at a home on Baltimore St. In Hanover.
Police gather after shots fired at a home on Baltimore St. In Hanover. (Bill Kalina)
m., where media had set up camp, hoping for answers about what was going on.

Galbreath said she told her son to stay away from the windows and turn off the lights. But, as the hours wore on, she was increasingly concerned.

"I've already cried and tried to have somebody go and get him," she said.

Dogs removed: After the standoff, a number of dogs were removed from the house, put into cages and loaded into an SUV.

The house is located along a stretch of Baltimore Pike where a number of houses are clustered together. Fields and woods surround the houses in the mainly rural setting.

State and local police remained at the house at least a few hours after the standoff ended. State police are investigating the incident.

During the standoff, a portion of Baltimore Pike was closed but reopened to traffic about 8 p.m.

- Reach Greg Gross at Reach Erin James at