A 24-year-old Winterstown-area man who died Tuesday night was the victim of a road-rage beating about three weeks ago.

Ian O'Toole, of Park Street in North Hopewell Township, was pronounced dead at 10:32 p.m. at York Hospital by York County Deputy Coroner Steve Cosey.

Whether he died as a result of the Sept. 16 attack has not been determined, according to York County Coroner Barry Bloss.

"We are investigating," he told The York Dispatch. "But everything's pending until we get the complete results back from the pathologist."

Test results: His office is waiting for results of toxicology and other tests before ruling on the cause and manner of O'Toole's death, Bloss said, and results can take upward of three months.

He said his office will also obtain O'Toole's medical records from when he was treated at York Hospital the night of the attack.

An autopsy on O'Toole was performed Wednesday at Allentown's Lehigh Valley Hospital, the coroner said.

"If he died as a result of that (beating), of course it would be homicide," Bloss said. "So we have to make sure we get everything in order before we make a call on this case."

York Area Regional Police Sgt. Jeff Dunbar said detectives are investigating and are waiting for the coroner's office to rule on the cause and manner of O'Toole's death.

The attack: Charged with the Sept. 16 attack on O'Toole is Benjamin Robert Blair, 23, with addresses in the 100 block of South Franklin Street in Red Lion and the 100 block of Orange Street in Wrightsville.


He remains free on $5,000 bail.

Blair could not be reached for comment.

According to charging documents, O'Toole and William Prescott, no age or address given, went to the Royal Farms store at 2605 S. Queen St. in York Township just before 10:30 p.m. Sept. 16.

O'Toole walked up to a Redbox DVD vending machine to help someone trying to use it, at which point a woman identified as Abrianna Martinez drove up in a red Audi and yelled to Prescott that he almost ran her off the road and he was "going to get what he deserves," documents state.

Prescott went inside the store, then returned to his vehicle. That's when Blair ran up to his window, grabbed Prescott by the throat and punched him several times in the face, documents allege.

Prescott yelled for O'Toole's help, and O'Toole ran over, police said.

"(Blair) slammed O'Toole to the ground and punched him three times in the face," charging documents allege, then fled the scene in a black truck.

Injuries: When police officers got to the scene, they found O'Toole lying on the ground. He was groaning and there was a pool of blood around his face, according to police.

He was taken to York Hospital. When an officer went to the hospital in the early-morning hours of Sept. 17 to check on the victim, he was told O'Toole wasn't in a state to talk with anyone and had suffered injuries including a broken right eye socket and a possible concussion, documents state.

Officers tracked down Blair and pulled him over in the 500 block of East Main Street in Dallastown, police said.

Blair told officers he had gotten a call from Martinez -- his fiancée -- that someone almost ran her off the road, documents state; he also said he was angry because his daughter was also in the car.

Blair admitted to punching Prescott and O'Toole and was taken to the county's central booking unit less than 90 minutes after the attack, police said.

Blair's preliminary hearing is set for Oct. 18 before District Judge Scott Laird, court records state.

-- Staff writer Liz Evans Scolforo can also be reached at levans@yorkdispatch.com.