About 100 homes and businesses in Delta were without power for more than five hours on Monday -- and a family of five is temporarily homeless -- after a main electrical line broke off a utility pole and landed on a borough house.

Assistant Fire Chief Joe Strickler of Delta Cardiff Fire Co. said no one was hurt, and a husband and wife and their three children will be staying with relatives while repairs are made to their home in the 400 block of Chestnut Street.

The "primary" PECO electrical line, which is the main electrical line into Delta, came down at 7:06 a.m. Monday and landed on the "neutral" line of the home's electrical system, according to Strickler.

"That back-fed electricity through the whole house ... 4,000 volts," he said.

At the time, the couple's two sons were at school, Strickler said, but the husband and wife were home, as was their daughter.

Bulbs popped: The back-surge caused several light bulbs inside the home to explode, Strickler said.

"They heard the light bulbs breaking, then they started smelling smoke," he said, and called 911.

When fire crews arrived, there was heavy black smoke coming from the house, and the electrical panel in the home's basement was on fire, Strickler said.

Flames also climbed up a basement wall and into the first and second floors, he said, and the entire house sustained smoke damage.

Crews had to tear apart much of the kitchen and dining room to get at the flames, Strickler said.


Doused quickly: Firefighters had the blaze under control in about 15 minutes, and had it extinguished in about an hour, he said.

A damage estimate wasn't immediately available, but Strickler said the home -- which is insured -- can be repaired.

The family will stay with relatives for the time being, he said.

The York-Adams chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the family, Strickler said.

Power outage: About 100 electric customers lost power when the line came down, according to PECO spokeswoman Karen Muldoon Geus.

The customers had power restored in increments, she said, and by 12:30 p.m. Monday power was restored to all the customers.

Geus said PECO is investigating what caused the line to fall.

-- Staff writer Liz Evans Scolforo can also be reached at levans@yorkdispatch.com.