The old flaming-bag-of-dog-poop prank got out of control early Saturday morning and started a Dover Township family's front door on fire, police said.

That's probably because the pranksters screwed up the bit.

For those unfamiliar, it involves putting dog feces in a paper bag, setting it in front of a target's door, lighting it on fire, then ringing the doorbell and running. The idea is for the target to stomp on the bag.

But in this case, the flaming bag of feces was hung from the front doorknob of a home in the 2600 block of Victorian Drive, Northern York County Regional Police said.

Residents of the home awoke to their smoke alarms sounding and realized their home was filled with smoke, police said.

One of the residents was able to extinguish the blaze, police said. Damage is estimated at $2,000.

Anyone with information on who left the burning bag is asked to call police at 292-3647, or leave a tip online at