A fire that all but destroyed a York Township apartment and an attached storage garage last week has been ruled accidental.

York Area Regional Police and a state police fire marshal investigated the Thursday blaze in the 2400 block of Brillhart Station Road and found that it was caused by a space heater, according to York Area Regional Police.

An oscillating heater, which was in a bedroom and in use at the time of the fire, came into contact with combustible items and set them on fire, police said.

The fire then spread to the rest of the apartment and the attached garage.

Gary Phillips, who rented the apartment, was not home at the time of the 3:43 p.m. fire.

His 10 cats were believed to have gotten out of the building when a neighbor attempted to put out the flames. No cat bodies were found in the apartment, Shannon Blevins, Jacobus fire chief, has said.

The fire caused $100,00 in damage, police said.