A York City woman who was driving drunk and recklessly in a snowstorm when she caused a three-vehicle crash on Interstate 83 has avoided more prison time.

During the Feb. 9, 2012, crash in Cumberland County, Tabitha K. Finucan's 1- and 4-year-old daughters were in her car, and they weren't properly restrained in child safety seats, state police said. Both girls were hurt in the crash, according to police.

Police said Finucan was speeding and using the berm of the highway to pass vehicles, including one driven by a police officer from Derry Township.

He later told troopers "he has never seen anyone drive this ridiculous," court documents state.

On Feb. 19, Finucan, 28, of the 700 block of East Princess Street, was sentenced to 25 days to 23 months of prison, which amounted to a time-served sentence, according to court records.

Must get GED: She also was sentenced to a subsequent two years of probation and ordered to obtain her GED and continue with drug and alcohol treatment, records state.

She must pay about $7,760 in restitution and $1,200 in fines, according to Jaime Keating, Cumberland County's first district attorney.

Finucan pleaded guilty in December to accidents involving injury while not properly licensed, two counts each of child endangerment and reckless endangerment, and one count of DUI/highest rate.


Other charges were dismissed in exchange for her plea, including felony aggravated assault on a police officer. The assault charge was filed because Finucan kicked a trooper, state police said.

Remorseful: Her defense attorney, Richard Konkel, said Finucan has been doing well.

"She's very sorry for what happened," he said. "She's made significant efforts toward changing her life."

Keating said Finucan did accept responsibility for her actions by pleading guilty.

"Honestly, I hope that she's able to get her life together," the prosecutor said. "Certainly this was a serious incident, as reflected by the charges."

The probation part of her sentence allows officials to ensure she follows through with her court-ordered requirements, Keating said.

The crash: Finucan caused a three-vehicle crash near I-83's New Cumberland exit in Lower Allen Township about 3:10 p.m. Feb. 9, 2012, court documents state.

Her blue Hyundai Sonata rear-ended a car, then hit the front of a tractor-trailer. The driver of the car suffered moderate injuries, as did his passenger, according to police.

Just prior to the crash, Finucan passed two Swatara Township police officers in an unmarked cruiser and nearly rear-ended them, instead swerving onto the berm to pass them, documents state. The officers called 911 to report the Sonata was going too fast and was out of control, police said.

'Reeked' of booze: The officers then saw brake lights, realized the Sonata had crashed and stopped to help, documents state. The officers said Finucan "reeked of alcohol" as they handcuffed her until state police arrived, according to court documents.

Although Finucan appeared apologetic at the scene, her mood apparently changed while in the back seat of a state police cruiser, documents state.

She kicked Trooper Michael Lang in the back of the head as he was transporting her to the state police barracks in Harrisburg, according to police.

- Staff writer Liz Evans Scolforo can also be reached at levans@yorkdispatch.com.