Jerome Dickson
Jerome Dickson

A man charged with participating in a shootout and an unrelated carjacking is now also accused in the fatal shooting of a York City man.

Jerome Deon Dickson, 24, of no fixed address, is charged with homicide, being a convicted felon in illegal possession of a firearm, and carrying a firearm without a license. He remains in York County Prison without bail.

He was arraigned Thursday at the prison, where he's been held on other charges since Aug. 24, according to prison records.

Dickson, known as "Rome," is accused of fatally shooting William "Mickey" Baxter, 48, of York City, about 6:20 a.m. July 29.

A day later, York City Police announced they wanted to question Dickson about the homicide. Members of the U.S. Marshals Service tracked down Dickson and arrested him on Aug. 24, they said.

York City detectives said Dickson is also facing a witness-intimidation charge, for allegedly beating up a woman he suspected had spoken to police about him.

First assistant public defender Clasina Houtman represents him in the shootout and carjacking charges. On Thursday, she said it's premature for her to discuss the homicide case.

Shot over drugs? Baxter died of a gunshot wound to his left thigh and was shot inside a vehicle in front of Bible Tabernacle Church at 361 S. Pine St. After being shot, he drove to the corner of South Pine Street and Liberty Court and pulled over, police said.

Baxter's body was found lying outside the car's driver-side door, according to charging documents.


Detectives learned Dickson met Baxter in front of the church and was upset at him over a drug "arrangement" the two had made, Dickson's arrest affidavit states.

Dickson pulled out a handgun, got out of Baxter's vehicle and shot the man while Baxter was laughing at him, according to the affidavit.

Dickson later told two people he'd killed Baxter, the affidavit states.

Shootout: Dickson remains charged with aggravated assault, being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm and reckless endangerment for a shootout in the 200 block of Harding Court in York City on Feb. 5, 2012, police said.

Dickson previously lived in that block, according to charging documents.

According to charging documents, Dickson and an unknown man fired numerous shots at each other. Police said they collected more than 20 spent shell casings at the scene.

Bullets fired during the shootout damaged several parked vehicles, police said.

Carjacking: Dickson also is charged with robbery of a motor vehicle for an Oct. 31, 2011, incident outside Spanky's Tavern at 834 W. King St., after a dispute over a pool game turned deadly.

Dickson allegedly stole a 2007 Dodge Magnum owned by Quincy Keith Hayes of South Belvidere Avenue.

After he took off in the car, a man he was with -- Cyhien Juba Barnes Jr., 24, of West Newton Avenue -- was fatally shot, allegedly by Hayes. Police have said Dickson and other associates of Barnes also were involved in the altercation with Hayes.

Hayes remains in county prison awaiting trial and is charged with homicide.

His defense attorney, Bill Graff, has said the group jumped Hayes, who was by himself.

Police filed the robbery charge against Dickson on Nov. 8, 2011.

-- Staff writer Liz Evans Scolforo can also be reached at