Ryan Barnes
Ryan Barnes

A Spring Grove man tried to seduce his daughter's schoolmate by sending the teenage girl sexually explicit text messages, including a photograph of his penis, police allege.

Ryan J. Barnes, 35, remains free on $20,000 unsecured bail, charged with one count each of unlawful contact with a minor and corruption of a minor and two counts of disseminating sexually explicit materials to a minor. All the offenses are third-degree felonies.

Formal court arraignment is set for April 5 for Barnes, of 405 N. Pine Ave., Apt. A-34.

Southwestern Regional Police said it happened between Jan. 9, 2012, and May 28, when the girl's grandmother discovered the texts and called police.

Sgt. Lisa Layden filed charges two months ago. Barnes waived his right to a preliminary hearing on Feb. 19 and now awaits his formal court arraignment, scheduled for April 5, according to court records.

Went to home: According to his arrest affidavit, the alleged victim in the case was 15 years old at the time and met Barnes through the man's daughter.

The alleged victim went to Barnes' home a number of times in 2012 to visit her schoolmate, police said.

"Early in the relationship, (Barnes) told the victim he misplaced his cell phone and asked (the) victim to call it," which she did, documents state.

Barnes then started calling the girl and sending her text messages, including texts about wanting to have sex with her, documents allege.

"On one occasion, (Barnes) sent a photograph of his partially nude body, exposing his penis," his arrest affidavit states. "(Barnes) requested photographs of the victim as well."

Sleepover: One night when the girl was sleeping over at the Barnes home, she awoke to find Barnes rubbing her back underneath her clothing, the affidavit alleges. It then states: "He suggested that she come into his bedroom. She declined."

Between January 2012 and May, Barnes sent the girl 397 text messages, police said, and investigators found evidence of 87 phone calls between Barnes and the girl.

Messages left for Barnes and his defense attorney, Cory Miller, were not returned.

Southwestern Regional Police said they spent more than seven months investigating the case.

-- Staff writer Liz Evans Scolforo can also be reached at levans@yorkdispatch.com.