A York City man too young to drink but old enough to have a felony conviction under his belt must spend at least three years in state prison for pointing a loaded shotgun at bouncers who'd kicked him out of a bar and then refused to fight with him.

Khristopher Wade, 20, of North Pershing Avenue, pleaded guilty Tuesday to being a felon in illegal possession of a firearm. In exchange for his plea, he was sentenced to three to six years in prison, according to court records.

Other charges, including simple assault and making terroristic threats, were dismissed as part of a plea agreement.

"(The plea agreement) guaranteed a lengthy state prison sentence for somebody who is obviously in need of incarceration," senior deputy prosecutor Seth Bortner said.

The case: York City Police were called to the former location of Banana Max, 1401 Roosevelt Ave., just before 1 a.m. May 11.

When officers got there, Wade took off but was arrested after a short foot chase.

According to Lt. Tim Utley, Wade had tried to get into Banana Max without showing identification, but was thrown out by security.

Wade left, but returned and fought with bar security, who ended the scuffle by pepper-spraying him, Utley said.

Wade again left the area, but came back and tried to entice bouncers to come out to the parking lot and fight him, according to the lieutenant. They didn't take him up on the challenge.

12-gauge: At that point, Wade pointed a 12-gauge shotgun at the bouncers, who ran inside the bar and called 911, Utley said.

Wade wasn't brandishing the shotgun when officers arrived, but they found it inside the vehicle he'd arrived in, according to Utley -- with one live round in the barrel and a second round jammed in the action of the weapon.

Wade was also in possession of brass knuckles, police said.

All three bouncers involved approved of the plea agreement, Bortner said.

"It's not known whether he was actually trying to fire at the bouncers," but the situation was clearly dangerous, the prosecutor said.

Defense attorney Seamus Dubbs said Wade admits he had the shotgun that night, but maintains he never pointed it at anyone.

Intent? "He says he never had any intention to use the gun, but was upset and wanted to scare them," Dubbs said. "He's a young kid who made a stupid decision."

While still a juvenile, Wade was charged as an adult with aggravated assault in Perry County, according to Bortner.

He later pleaded guilty to that felony charge, Bortner said. State law forbids people with felony convictions from possessing firearms.

Court records show state police in Indiana County charged Wade with aggravated assault and simple assault in December 2009. In March 2011, a jury acquitted him of those charges, according to court records.

-- Staff writer Liz Evans Scolforo can also be reached at levans@yorkdispatch.com.