Now that the voters approved referendums that allow restaurant liquor licenses in Dillsburg and Dallastown, establishments can start applying for the licenses through the state's Liquor Control Board.

But don't expect to enjoy a pint of beer or a glass of wine with dinner anytime soon.

Before the state can issue the licenses, York County must first certify the results and send them to Harrisburg for review, said Stacy Kriedeman, deputy director of external affairs of the state LCB.

"It depends on the county, so it could take days or weeks," she said.

Referendums: Voters in Dallastown and Dillsburg were asked on Tuesday's primary ballot whether or not to allow restaurant liquor licenses in the towns.

York County election results showed 212 Dallastown residents voted in favor of allowing alcohol to be sold there, while 163 voted against. Residents in Dillsburg cast 229 votes in favor and 129 against, according to unofficial election results.

Though it may take some time before the votes are certified, establishments can apply for the licenses now. Applications can be submitted, but the state won't act on them until the votes are certified, Kriedeman said.

And establishment owners might want to act fast.

There will be only one new license available for each borough, Kriedeman said.

The state uses a ratio of one license for every 3,000 residents, but the county has already met its maximum number of licenses, she said.


"York County is over the quota, so there's no new licenses available," Kriedeman said.

According to liquor control board data, there are 155 active restaurant liquor licenses in the county, which has a population of 434,972.

Since Dillsburg and Dallastown didn't have access to the licenses, each could gain one new license.

Hot item: But when new licenses pop up from something like a referendum, they usually go fast.

When Dover Township passed its referendum on ending its dry status in 2011, two golf courses quickly jumped at the chance to sell alcohol.

Honey Run Golf Course on South Salem Church Road and Grandview Golf Course on Carlisle Road both applied for and received liquor licenses.

Since then, no other licenses have been issued in the township.

Except for the two new licenses, if an additional establishment in the county wants to sell alcohol, it would have to buy an existing license that's already in the municipality, or it would have to buy and bring one from another municipality.

In order for that to happen, officials in the municipality to which a license could be transferred would have to approve bringing it in, and then the state would have to sign off on it, Kriedeman said.

- Reach Greg Gross at