A Paradise Township man suffered life-threatening burns when the homemade incinerator he was burning trash in exploded Sunday afternoon, police said.

The 59-year-old man, of the first block of Beaver Creek Road, was flown to Bayview Burn Center in Baltimore by medical helicopter after the 3:37 p.m. explosion, Northern York County Regional Police said.

The man, whose name has not been released, was standing near the incinerator when it exploded, according to police.

When firefighters from Adams County's Union Hook & Ladder Co. arrived, fire was still burning in the homemade device, which held several tires and a small propane tank, according to the fire department's website.