A fire inside an industrial-size oven at Stauffer's Biscuit Co. late Wednesday night caused some damage and forced the company to send workers home early, a fire official said.

York Area United Fire and Rescue crews were sent to the 360 S. Belmont St. business in Spring Garden Township shortly before 11:30 p.m., according to YAUFR Battalion Chief Daniel Hoff.

A malfunction in a huge oven caused animal crackers inside to ignite, Hoff said.

No one was hurt, he said.

Hoff said a damage estimate has not yet been set, but noted the oven was damaged and that there was some smoke and water damage in the area of the fire.

"I didn't actually measure (the oven), but it looks to be in excess of 50 feet long," he said. "It took us a while to get the oven opened up and get the smoldering products out of there ... (because) the conveyor system stopped working due to damage."

Jim Wilson, chief operating officer of Stauffer's Biscuit Co., said the company plans to resume operations Thursday on a couple of production lines with its second-shift workers.

"There is pretty extensive cleanup work before we can restart the production lines," he said, because cleanup takes time even though fire damage was minimal.

"The most important thing is that we didn't have any injuries," Wilson said. "That's our No.1 priority."

-- Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com.