Newly sworn-in West York council members kept their election-time promises and brought sweeping changes to the borough at their first meeting of the year on Monday.

The parking meters are going back up, and non-union employees will see an end to a pay cut that was imposed nearly two years ago.

Both measures passed by a unanimous vote, something almost unheard of with the previous council, which was divided on nearly every issue.

"I think we now have in place a responsible council," said Mayor Charles Wasko.

With just five members, there are two vacant seats on the council. Steve Herman and Nancy Laird resigned just after the election that saw Nick Laughman and Marry Wagner elected and Brian Wilson and Shelley Metzler re-elected.

Wasko was also elected mayor in November, beating out Sam Firestone.

Annette "Chickie" Christine also serves on the council and was not up for re-election last year.

The council has until the end of the month to appoint two members.

Changes: The meters are due to be back up by the end of February, but that could change depending on weather conditions.

"If there's a lot of snow and things they (the highway department) are dealing with, they don't have to stick to the time line," Metzler said.

In September, the council narrowly approved removing the meters and to have holes in the sidewalk that held the poles that supported the meters filled.

The meters were located on a section of West Market Street from the line with York City to Seward Street.

The borough will use money brought in by metered parking to restore pay that some employees saw cut.

Cuts: During 2012 budget talks, administrative and highway department employees agreed to a 4 percent pay cut, but an additional 6 percent cut was tacked onto that, bringing the total cut to each employee's pay to 10 percent. The cuts saved the borough roughly $9,000, and pay hasn't been restored since.

Pay to the employees will be fully restored to those employees.

"It's the right thing to do," Wilson said. "To those non-union workers; I apologize."

Metered parking brought in about $28,000 in 2012 through money from the meters, parking tickets and parking permits issued to residents so they can park at metered street spaces in front of their homes.

Wilson said the employees could receive the two years' worth of pay they lost to the cuts, but that would have to be hashed out at a later date.

The West York council is expected to interview candidates for two open council seats at a meeting on Monday Jan. 20. Applications are now being accepted at the borough building, 1700 W. Philadelphia St.

In order to be considered for the seats, candidates must have lived in the borough for at least a year, be at least 18 years old and pass a background check.

The meeting will be held at the borough office at 6 p.m.

-- Reach Greg Gross at