Authorities have released the name of the York man who caused Phineas Davis K-8 school to go into lockdown Thursday afternoon.

For his name and the full story on the allegations against him -- including that he threatened to kill every student in the school -- click here: Police: Man who terrorized school threatened to kill all 83 students inside


The father of a Phineas Davis K-8 School student was led away from the school in handcuffs by York City Police officers after he rushed into the building and damaged property Thursday, police alleged.


"I did it for my daughter," the man, who was wearing a football jersey, called out to no one in particular as officers ushered him to a police car.

"You thought I was crazy. I am crazy - for my daughter," he said to a crowd of parents who were outside of the school to pick up students.

Police from York City and Spring Garden Township were sent to the 300 S. Ogontz St. school about 4 p.m. for a report of shots fired.

The shots people thought they heard before they called 911 were likely the loud noises of the man damaging property in the school's lobby, said city police Chief Wes Kahley, adding a gun was not found.

No students or staff were injured.

Police did not release the man's name as of Thursday night.

Picking up: Charnette Brown of York City had just pulled up in front of the school, which had let out for the day, to pick up her fourth-grade nephew, who was there for tutoring, when police officers swarmed in.

Her nephew would have been walking out of the school when the incident happened, she said. He was able to call her on a cellphone from inside, telling her he was not hurt but was hiding under a desk in an office.

Before her nephew called, Brown said, she had no idea what was happening.

"It just scared the crap out of me, seeing all the police with their guns out," she said.

As the incident unfolded inside, a large crowd of parents who were picking up their children gathered at the school's entrance. Many shared looks of concern until a city police officer told them no students had been injured.

Damage done: Kahley said the man was able to enter the building through its unlocked front doors to the lobby, where he allegedly caused "significant damage."

But he got no farther because of locked inner doors that are only opened once they are electronically unlocked by office staff.

"He was taken into custody in the lobby area of the school," Kahley said. "You can tell he was frustrated.


The man was involved in a situation at the school on Wednesday, the chief said, declining to elaborate what happened.

The school is in Spring Garden Township but is part of the York City School District.

Locked down: The incident on Thursday happened as about 20 school staff members were tutoring about 60 students inside, said district Superintendent Eric Holmes.

As a precaution, the school was placed on lockdown, and officers searched the rest of it for any sort of threat, he said.

"The kids were well hidden and were being taken care of by their teachers," Kahley said.

Students trapped inside were taken to the auditorium before they were taken on two Rabbit Transit buses to Alexander D. Goode K-8 to be reunited with their parents.

Classes at Phineas Davis will be held on Friday, when there will be a police presence at all city schools, Holmes said.

"We want our parents to be aware of the fact that their children will be safe," he said.

- Reach Greg Gross at ggross@yorkdispatch.com.