A Dover Township man was killed when his car crashed into and became pinned underneath a tractor-trailer on Route 30 in Manchester Township on Wednesday.

Brent D. Amspacher, 31 of the 2700 block of Oakland Road, died after his 2000 Mitsubishi Galant went over a raised concrete median and crashed into the tractor-trailer that was stopped for a red light at the intersection of Route 30 and Toronita Street just before 3:30 p.m., according to Northern York County Regional Police.

Claude Stabley, the York County chief deputy coroner, said Amspacher suffered severe injuries and was killed instantly.

The car, with Amspacher in it, were pinned under the flatbed trailer for over an hour as crews worked to free both.

The truck driver, a 45-year-old Airville man, was not injured in the crash, police said.

The crash: Investigators on Wednesday were trying to figure out how the crash happened.

"At this point, we are unclear what caused the crash," Stabley said.

But investigators know bits and pieces of what happened before the crash.

Lt. David Lash of Northern York County Regional Police said Ampacher made a left turn from Toronita Street to Route 30 westbound just before the crash.

Somehow the car jumped the median strip a short distance later and became pinned under the trailer. The tractor-trailer was stopped in the turn lane of Route 30 eastbound, attempting to make a left turn onto Toronita Street, Lash said.

"Somewhere in that 100 yards something went wrong," he said.

The force of the impact ripped back the roof of the car, much of the front cabin of which was lodged under the trailer.

Stabley said an autopsy will likely not be performed.

Amspacher was not wearing a seatbelt, Stabley said but added if he wasn't wearing a seatbelt, that didn't contribute to his death.

Investigation: Police will look over the car to see if a mechanical problem could have led to the crash, Stabley said.

As part of their investigation, police interviewed bystanders at the scene, Stabley said.

However, some had stopped at nearby businesses after the crash occurred to see what was happening.

"Many people came after the fact," Stabley said.

The crash closed the westbound lanes of Route 30 for two hours and the eastbound lanes were restricted to a single lane until about 5:30 p.m. when crew cleared the scene.

The closure tied up traffic in both directions and, at one point, eastbound traffic to Pennsylvania Avenue, was backed up for more than a mile.

- Reach Greg Gross at ggross@yorkdispatch.com.