Green ... accused of shooting Patrick Winter through a car window.
Green ... accused of shooting Patrick Winter through a car window.

A 14-year-old York City youth accused of fatally shooting another teen last month has waived his right to a preliminary hearing and is now facing a murder trial.

Leonard Anthony Green III, of 535 S. Duke St., remains in York County Prison without bail, charged as an adult with homicide for the fatal shooting of Patrick Winter.

Winter was sitting in his car in the 300 block of East King Street about 12:25 a.m. June 14, waiting to drive some people home from a party. Green walked up and had Winter roll down his driver-side window, according to York City Police.

Green fired two shots, then ran from the scene, police allege.

Winter, 17, of Niagara Lane in West Manchester Township, died of a gunshot wound to the torso, according to the York County Coroner's Office.

Winter ... fatally shot while waiting to drive people home from a party.
Winter ... fatally shot while waiting to drive people home from a party.

Police said there is no reasonable explanation as to why the shooting happened, and called it senseless.

Green told detectives he had been "disrespected" by Winter at some point, according to police.

The 6-foot-tall, 170-pound Green was a student at Jackson K-8 at the time, according to court documents.

His Philadelphia-based attorney, Zachary Shaffer, could not immediately be reached for comment.

No empty beds: Less than a month before Winter was killed, York City Police tried to have Green committed to a juvenile detention center on an illegal weapons charge, but there were no empty beds available at the time.


On May 23, York City Police were called to the 900 block of Wellington Street for a complaint of a male with a gun who had scared a boy, according to Green's arrest documents.

Arriving officers spotted Green on a bicycle, then heard a voice from the crowd yell, "That's him, the one on the bike," documents state.

Green jumped off the bike and turned away from officers, one of whom could see the grip of a handgun sticking out of Green's pants pockets, documents state.

Green then ditched the bike and fled on foot, successfully eluding police after ducking into a nearby breezeway, according to documents.

Dropped handgun: But Green stumbled as he was getting off the bicycle, causing the gun to fall to the ground, documents state. Police seized the .40-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun, which held 13 bullets, documents state.

It had not been reported stolen and a check of the gun revealed no registered owner, according to documents, which state the gun was kept as evidence.

Witnesses in the area gave officers Green's name, and the officers viewed surveillance video of Green pulling out a handgun multiple times while hanging out in the block, documents state.

False ID charge: Five days later, about 9:20 p.m. May 28, officers on routine bicycle patrol spotted Green standing in the 500 block of Walnut Street and arrested him on the outstanding gun possession charge, documents state.

Green gave officers a fake name three times as they were detaining him, leading the officers to also charge Green as a juvenile with providing false identification to police, documents state.

The officers contacted the county's juvenile probation department about having Green committed to juvenile detention, but no beds were available anywhere, documents state.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at