South Western’s Parker Bean, right, bats the ball away from Dallastown’s Ben Doorn in Wednesday’s semifinal. The Mustangs advanced to the
South Western's Parker Bean, right, bats the ball away from Dallastown's Ben Doorn in Wednesday's semifinal. The Mustangs advanced to the title game. (John A. Pavoncello)

RED LION -- South Western boys' basketball coach Nate Brodbeck felt fortunate that his team was able to carry a three-point lead into the locker room at halftime on Wednesday night.

Brodbeck thought Dallastown outworked the Mustangs in the opening half.

South Western, however, didn't need any luck in the second half of the York-Adams League Tournament semifinal game. They dominated the final 16 minutes at both ends of the floor.

The Mustangs controlled the rebounding and used a 14-0 run in the third quarter to break open a close game. South Western held Dallastown to its lowest point total of the season in defeating the Wildcats, 54-34.

The victory earned the Mustangs a spot in the Friday night's championship game against York High. The title contest is set for 7 p.m. at York College.

"When we came out in the second half, we knew we had to get Parker (Bean) the ball," Brodbeck said. "Getting the ball inside, I think that was the difference. One of my assistants told me that we had 17 offensive rebounds. That's tremendous."

Bean, the Mustangs' 6-foot, 6-inch senior, connected for 11 of his 13 points in the final half. He sat out the final 4:57 of the second quarter after picking up his second foul.

Mike Duffy, South Western's other 1,000-career-points scorer, led all scorers with 19 points. Duffy knocked in three 3-point shots and was 4-for-4 at the foul line.


"I looked at him (Bean) at halftime, and it was like, 'I need you right now,'" Duffy said. "He got the message. We got him the ball, and he became a monster. He scored and got second chances for us with his rebounding."

Dallastown, which starts four juniors, wasn't able to hang with the Mustangs this time after playing them tough in the regular season, losing 52-47 and 58-56.

"The glass (rebounding) really killed us tonight," Wildcats' coach Mike Grassel said. "You can't give a team all those second chances."

Dallastown connected on just 8-of-26 shots from the field (30.7 percent) in the first three quarters.

"That was a combination of things," Grassel said. "Credit to South Western because they got after us, but we had some open looks in the first half, and we didn't knock them down."

Ethan Sutton was Dallastown's only double-figure scorer with 13 points.

"We tried to buckle down defensively tonight," Duffy said. "We had to key on Ethan Sutton because he's been putting up big numbers all year. We tried not to let him have open shots."

South Western's shooting wasn't anything special in the first half (6-for-25 from the field, 24 percent), but the Mustangs found the range in the third quarter, connecting on 6-for-11 from the field (54.5 percent) while outscoring Dallastown, 20-6.

South Western was never seriously threatened after that to punch its ticket to the championship game for the second straight year. The opponent will be the same as last year. York High won the 2012 title clash, 59-52.

"This is the greatest feeling in the world," Duffy said. "I'm just so happy we get to go back and play at York College. I can't wait."

-- Reach Dick Vanolin da at dvanolinda@york